The Roman frontier section of Pannonia has been the subject of extensive studies in recent decades, augmented by constant improvements in digital methodology as well as the pending UNESCO World Heritage Nomination of selected sites and their related touristic development (within the framework of the transnational nomination titled “Frontiers of the Roman Empire – The Danube Limes” [FREDL]).
Significant discoveries from the last five years have been unpublished so far, thus emerged the idea to collect and present these findings in a standalone volume. The present book contains eleven articles on the results of recent research conducted on the Hungarian section of the Danube limes. Three writings provide overviews on current geophysical prospections and underwater archaeology concerning several sites of the Roman frontiers as well as novities on the monetary history of Pannonia. The subseuqent 8 articles present researches on various sites along the Danube, including temporary camps, auxiliary forts, Late Roman fortifications and watchtowers. Seventeen authors contributed to the volume from archaeological institutions and private firms all over Hungary.
The reference of the volume: Farkas, I. G. – Neményi, R. – Szabó, M. (eds.): The Danube Limes in Hungary: Archaeological Research Conducted in 2015–2020 (Pécs, CLIR Research Center, 2020), 280 pp., Kontraszt Plusz Ltd., DOI: 10.15170/CLIR.2020, ISBN 978-963-429-597-6 (print),ISBN 978-963-429-598-3 (digital).
Articles concerning the Danubian limes
- STIBRÁNYI, Máté – NAGY, László: Ditches along the road. Archaeological geophysical surveys along the Pannonian Limes between 2015–2017
- TÓTH, János Attila: Underwater and “islandological” data and observations related to the Ripa Pannonica
- VIDA, István A.: Thoughts on the numismatic history of the Pannonian limes
1 – Brigetio (Komárom)
- SZABÓ, Máté – FÁBIÁN, Boglárka – FODOR, Fanni: Research on Roman temporary camps near Brigetio (Komárom-Szőny). Results of the excavations conducted on the BRI V, VI(–VII), X–XI, XIII–XIV, XIX, XXII–XXIII, XXX and XXII archaeological sites
- KISS, Csanád: Research on Roman temporary camps around Brigetio (Komárom-Szőny) in 2019
2 – Crumerum (Nyergesújfalu)
- SCHILLING, László – SÖRÖS, Zsófia Franciska – JABLONKAI, Dávid – NOVÁK, Kristóf: Crumerum (Nyergesújfalu) im Licht der neueren Forschungen
3 – Tokod
- KOCSIS, Anita: GPR survey in the Late Roman fort of Tokod
4 – Visegrád
- GRÓF, Péter: Roman watchtower Visegrád-Szentgyörgypuszta 1. Preliminary excavation report
5 – Intercisa (Dunaújváros)
- VISY, Zsolt: New research conducted in the castellum of Intercisa (Dunaújváros) and watchtower INT-5
6 – Altinum (Kölked)
- LÓKI, Róbert: Altinum (Kölked). Ground-Penetrating Radar survey 2017–2020
- FARKAS, István Gergő: New Roman stamped tiles from Altinum (Kölked)